Heartfield's post on GB UK etc

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Fri Dec 11 14:14:01 PST 1998

I found this edifying, but I think that there is some linguistic confusion over "great" as in "outstanding" versus "great" as in big. "Grande Bretagne" for example simply points out that there is a big one which is bigger than the little one (in France), and is to my mind no more perjorative than the Greater vs the less Tunb islands in the Persian Gulf. I do think people can sometimes get hung up and make a PC issue out of something that is not particularly a PC issue. It makes sense to me that after the 5th and 6th centureis you would need a Grande Bretagne versus a Bretagne in France, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Grande came back to Britain via the Norman conquests of the 11th century. My Britannica notes the term was used in the 17th century by the King of England to refer to the whole, but the reference was not detailed enough to convince me that it originated then. I would put a small bet on its infiltration as a semi-gallicism (semi because it started with the Romans, travelled North, came back south, then went north again) via the Normans.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298