Merger Mania

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sat Dec 12 11:02:39 PST 1998

Dear Henry and Rakesk,

This is an interesting thread for me, because I am a potential casualty if some sort of balance isn't achieved in the world steel trade.

I don't know if either one of you guys caught our international president George Becker on Cspan recently testifying before congress. George was very direct, "either we are going to have a steel industry in this country or we are not, simple as that."

It is true that some industrialists could care less if the domestic steel industry is destroyed. Short term quick profit types. They forget what will happen in a few years when they need steel and it is unavailable to them at a reasonable price on the world market.

Our domestic steel industry is the most efficient in the world. We have the best labor productivity in the world. It takes fewer man hours to make a ton of steel in the USA than anywhere else in the world!

While writing this note the US mail came and I got a form letter from my congressman Sherrod Brown. Sherrod claims that steel imports have increased by almost 50% in the last year. He should know, he is on the Commerce Committee.

Your email pal, Tom Lehman