Wagner/Tolkien

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Dec 12 20:54:37 PST 1998

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Rosser Jr, John Barkley wrote:

> In light of Louis Proyect's message about Wagner's
> _Der Ring des Niebelungen_, I would note the deep parallels
> between that tale and the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, _The
> Lord of the Rings_,

I always considered Tolkien to be the godfather of British postmodernism. The thing is a tour de force of pastiche, ranging from the language stuff to WW II narratives to sly swipes at Anglo-Saxon mass-culture. After reading about Sauron's hideous Eye, you never look at the CBS logo in quite the same way as before.

-- Dennis