Nuts and berries

michael at ecst.csuchico.edu michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Dec 13 20:08:28 PST 1998

Brad wrote:

> Of course, as Ev Ehrlich once said, carry that argument to its conclusion,
> and we would have 80 million people employed today in hunting and
> gathering, all of them receiving government subsidies as they look for nuts
> and berries...

Brad, I once used to write about agriculture. People used to make the same argument about the demise of the small farmers in the U.S. The problem was that a good percentage of the very small farmers were old or disabled. They had virtually no prospects of finding alternative jobs.

We would not want to protect those with good prospects for job mobility, but for others we should be careful to write them off casually.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu