Women behaving badly

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Tue Dec 15 09:03:25 PST 1998

Well, I guess I don't see Showalter as minimizing or disrepecting the very real suffering of CFS. I think she treats CFS with much more respect and seriousness than she does Satanic Ritual Abuse or alien abductions. But more importantly, I don't see how suggesting there are psychosocial roots of CFS does anything to denigrate CFS or the women who suffer from it. I gave the example of anorexia, sonce it's been ignored, I'll repeat what I said. Feminists ague that anorexia has it's roots in culture. There is nothing wrong with the girls per se, it is the world around them. I believe that many feminists who do this work point to the very prevalence of anorexia in suggesting that is it a socio-cultural rather than medical epidemic. To argue that anorexia can best be understood under the medical model is to ignore the very real socio-cultural pressures that lead to them starving themselves. And I don't think anyone suggests that pointing out that anorexia is cultural soehow makes their suffering less serious. I'm not suggesting that CFS is "merely" psychological and that a "good dose of psychoanalysis" would cure it. I'm suggesting that at least part of the cause is rooted in culture,l which makes it very serious, indeed, and would call for radical societal restructuring, as does anorexia.

frances