Local r&f v. Int'l: Showdown at Iron Workers Local 86

SsarahT at aol.com SsarahT at aol.com
Tue Dec 15 09:20:05 PST 1998

Hi,

You can find a terrific article on a struggle between rank&file iron workers and their international union at www.thestranger.com ("Showdown at Local 86"). *The Stranger* is a leading progressive weekly newspaper in Seattle.

The international had trusteed the local last summer. The international also signed onto a collective bargaining agreement which the local membership had twice voted down. Then the international brought up one of the r&f activists on "dissension" charges last fall.

I connected the r&f activist group to the Association for Union Democracy (www.uniondemocracy.org), who was enormously helpful. The article in The Stranger is fascinating. I encourage you to check it out.

--- Sarah Luthens <ssaraht at aol.com>