[PEN-L:1518] Re: In Defence of Humanism

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Tue Dec 15 16:48:55 PST 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Rob Schaap <rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au> To: pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu <pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu> Cc: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 5:26 PM

>G'day Ange,
>
>It says something about this much-vaunted price mechanism of Hayek's that
>it's a lot cheaper for us to argue via Chico, California than it would by
>phone across Victoria. The technology might be distance-insensitive, but
>the price ain't. In fact, I hear the telco companies have a whole stack of
>fibre cables in the ground between Canberra and Melbourne but have no
>commercial reason to attach switching taps at either end. So much for
>natural scarcity and the concomitant rational allocation of resources
>through price, eh?

Are you suggesting that the market of telecommunications has traditionally been a free one?!?

Enzo