Women behaving badly

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Wed Dec 16 08:09:26 PST 1998

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Carrol Cox wrote:

> 2. Frances's inability...neuroscience...more sinister implications...this attack on
> Mary Schweitzer. She called Mary a shit. This may be based (i.e., more sinister) on a
> real contempt for mental patients, witness her unwillingness to try to make sense of
> Doyle's posts on neuroscience.

Well, gosh. I thought Schweitzer's point is that she is *not* a mental patient, that CFS is purely physical. As for my original point re Schweitzer, I was suggesting that, despite her claims to be a polite and humourous opponent of Showalter, she showed herself to in fact be highly unprincipled, engaging in vicious ad hominem attacks on Showalter. As for my unwillingness to engage Doyle's stuff on NS--as I explained to you offlist (I have no idea why you're bringing this up again) I find his writing impossible to understand. What part of that did you not understand the first time?

For you, dear, sweeet, Carrol, to claim that Schweitzer's attack on Showalter was not personal is some n degrees beyond disingenuous. Other wise, thank you for an enlightening and substantive post. No one has ever called me a sinister humanist. Quel charmant! It really helped moved forward the conversation on illness and culture.

frances