CFS (reprint)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Dec 16 12:13:01 PST 1998

boddhisatva wrote:

> I think people who criticize "Western" medicine on the grounds
> that it is not open to new therapies, and new maladies on which to use
> those therapies, are misguided. The history of medicine clearly shows that
> it has always been open to excessive treatment of dubious merit, pure
> flim-flams and snake oil from the first.

I would agree that this has been true in the past because to treat (and get paid for it) requires a diagnosis and a standard treatment. But, now that managed care is taking over the health care field, the payment paradigm has changed. The HMOs lose money by having to treat someone. The worst experience I had in my search for a diagnosis (which turned out to be fibromyalgia) was by an HMO doctor who kept prescribing anti depressants without doing the work to determine the cause of my physical pain. This was Secure Horizons, a large HMO that takes Medicare patients. Once when I went back to him to complain that my symptoms were getting worse, not better he said "What are you doing back in here?" At that point I disenrolled from the HMO ( you could get out within a month back then) and went to UCLA where I was diagnosed four days later with fibromyalgia. I wrote a letter of complaint to Secure Horizons about how I had not been adequately assessed by their doctor. There answer back to me was that they were not in the business of practicing medicine, that they independently contracted with doctors, i.e., they took no responsibility. As you know, one cannot sue an HMO except in the state of Texas. It was NOT in the interest of the HMO plan to accurately diagnose my condition, much less to treat it. I'm sure you get my drift. This is what we are dealing with today.

Marta Russell