George Kennan

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 16 20:00:47 PST 1998

Stephen E Philion wrote:

> Henry,
>
> Although your posting below is ostensibly a 'refutation' of Louis, can you
> show us in any way how what you just wrote differs in any *substantive*
> way from the Chomsky quote that Louis quoted? I think you have misread
> the content of the main points raised by the Chomsky quote that Louis
> reprinted for the list.

Stephen:

It could be possible that I was misreading the line: "His writings are an extremely interesting illustration of the dovish position.post". If by that Chomsky meant that Kennan's opposition to the dovish position, then I have indeed misread its meaning. On the other hand, if the line meant Kennan represented the dovish position, then my post's intention was to challenge that claim.

Anyway, in my subsequent post on Acheson, I pointed out: It has been understood for a long time that the line that separates American "doves" from their counterpart "hawks" has more to do with the willingness to deploy nuclear weapons. The terms have very little meaning when it comes to conventional wars.

Henry