AMZN madness

Daniel drdq at m5.sprynet.com
Wed Dec 16 17:23:17 PST 1998

Doug wrote: "Based on current prices, Amazon's stock is worth $15.2 billion, and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' personal stake is worth well over $5 billion. Barnes & Noble's market capitalization is just $2.2 billion, meaning that Bezos could buy B&N twice and still have hundreds of millions left over."

Isn't there a law against this? Just kidding. . . But I do wonder if a law has ever been debated.

Actually, I'm hoping some of the economists on the list might want to say something about another question I have. I've been talking for years with a friend who says that the government's inflation stats are totally bogus and that inflation is WAY more than acknowledged. Now, he happens to be just about the best shopper I've ever met. This guy knows prices. I don't know prices. But, I just can't believe that interest rates would be coming down in an inflationary situation. And if one is going to lend a lot of money, as the bankers do, is it possible that they don't know the "real" rate of inflation - at any given time, that is, and apart from projections about future rates. I don't begin to know how the "real" rate would be defined, but is there a way of knowing the general direction of things. I mean, is it inflationary or deflationary?