Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 16 19:43:23 PST 1998

Jim wrote:
>Last time the weapons inspectors demanded access to the presidential
>palaces, mocking the pretension of the Iraqi regime in having national
>monuments. This time the inspectors demanded access to the headquarters
>of the ruling party. The failure to discover evidence of weapons is
>taken by the inspectors as proof that they are elsewhere.
>
>But the weapons inspectors ought to have no difficulty finding the
>weapons of mass destruction in the Gulf. They are to be found on board
>the US warships.

I've been part of a local group of people protesting against economic sanctions + weapons inspections charades, and I assume many such groups exist elsewhere, but we _never_ made any headway changing the terms of discourse. So I don't think that the timing of bombing is very significant. They can bomb Iraq any time they like--as long as there's no public relations fiasco of their own making like that "town-meeting" in Columbus--because there's no significant oppostion to them.

Yoshie