Iraq

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Wed Dec 16 20:35:03 PST 1998

G'day Frances,

>If Clinton ordered the attack in hopes of delaying the impeachment votes
>that would constitute a gross abuse of power, and it would be an
>impeachable offense.

That would make it murder, no? Fuck impeachment! That's a job for 'ol' sparky' in the good ol' US of A, ain't it?

Anyway, whatever their 'reasoning', this is simple bloody murder. Seven years of it.

Why is it that all the world remembers the Somme as the emblem of carnage (well, perhaps not the Yanks -they weren't there, and that can disqualify an historical incident as significant, I s'pose)?

20 000 British imperial troops dead in a morning on July 1 1916. Horrible.

9 000 were killed in the Normandy assault Spielberg asks us to dwell upon. Terrible.

But do we feel this way about the slaughter of mebbe 100 000 on the Basra Road? While the victims were in fact doing exactly what the UN resolution in question was demanding of them? Not anyone I know.

And we got to watch that one.

Live and over dinner.

How can one person stay above all this obscene madness? Its racist equations (120 000 dead Iraqis being somewhat less than 29 dead Americans), its glorification of death-dealing, its expunging of the horror, its illogical nonsense (all this as a stand against the possibility of someone having weapons of mass destruction, forchrissakes!), its straight-out fucking lies ...

They're everywhere. And they leave a mark on us all, I think. All the reference points we reach for as we try to make sense of these things have been corrupted, and it's easy to forget what might once have been obvious to us.

The deliberate act of killing helpless people is the foulest act imaginable, and its perpetrators the foulest beings possible.

A good rule to bear in mind as the public relations industry begins to push home its filth, I think.

And don't be scared of hating, I reckon. That's an emotion we have available to us precisely for acts and people like this. Personal responsibility is their precious credo - so let's hold 'em personally responsible.

And hate them personally.

Rob.