Forward on U.S. Labor Party

Thu Dec 17 14:10:50 PST 1998

Letter to the editor by S. Robinson

Charles Brown

_________

I sent the following to the NY Times in response to the interview with Mazzochi that appeared in the Sunday paper. Thanks to Dave MacReynolds for bringing the article to my attention.
>Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:06:07
>To: sunbiz at nytimes.com
>From: "s.robinson" <s.robinson at popmail.csuohio.edu>
>
> 3334 Berkeley Avenue
> Cleveland Hts., Oh 44118
>
> November 23, 1998
>
>Editor:
> In his interview with Labor Party leader, Anthony Mazzochi, which
appeared in the business section of the Nov. 22nd NY Times, Steven Greenhouse states that Mazzochi "freely uses class tinged language that seems a throwback to the 1930's." That comment brought to mind an observation made many years ago by Professor C. Wright Mills, who noted that "America is distinguished by two classes: one, the most class conscious in the world, and the other, the least class conscious."
> The lack of class consciousness of the working class, coupled with
the determined self-interest of the wealthy class, has led to an unprecedented bi-furcation of wealth and income. In a recent study, HOW THE PIE IS SLICED, NYU Economics Professor Edward N. Wolfe states that the share of national wealth owned by the upper one-percent had increased from 22% in 1976 to 42% in 1992. This trend toward increasing inequality began under a Democratic President, Jimmy Carter, accelerated further under the Reagan-Bush Presidencies, and has grown even more rapidly under President Clinton and his advisors from the Democratic Leadership Council. As Professor Wolfe observes in his essay: "By the 1980s the U.S. had become the most unequal industrialized country in terms of wealth."
> Republican Presidents Reagan and Bush began an assault on our
welfare safety net, and President Clinton finished the job his predecessors had begun. In the words of his former Assistant Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, Peter Edelman, "The President dynamited a structure that was in place for six decades." Edelman resigned his position because of his "profound disagreement"
>with Clinton's welfare policy.
>
> Indeed, in matters of basic economic policy, I am forced to agree
with Mazzochi: "There is very little difference between the two major parties." As a retired college professor and life-long Democrat, I hardly fit Greenhouse's image of the "union stalwarts in the party." After reading this interview, however, I feel that my well-being and that of most other Americans will be better served by a Labor Party than by either the Democrats or Republicans.