The Triviality of Capital Ownership

curtiss_leung at ibi.com curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Dec 18 09:11:59 PST 1998

boddhisatva wrote:

> First, owning shares is indeed immoral in my opinion. Buy bonds.

I can't follow your logic here. If owning equities is immoral because

shareholders (in those cases where the stock pays a dividend) receive

the surplus value generated by the workers, how is owning bonds any

less immoral? Shouldn't it be worse, as bondholders have a prior

claim to shareholders on any income generated?

What about stocks that don't pay a dividend? As far as I know, some

technology stocks don't -- Microsoft, for example. But there are

plenty of other reasons to find owning shares of that particular

company repulsive...

--

Curtiss Leung