culture and illness

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Sat Dec 19 05:04:41 PST 1998

I don't know about that, I just read that a 1996 U.S. govt study found that treatment (real treatment, residential, counseling, sometimes vocational training) cut hard-core cocaine use by about 50% -- the thing is usually a person has to go in and relapse and go back in several times, treatment gets bad press because it doesn't fit into US Drug War demonology and it's not as sexy as Mexican smuggling or crackhouse raids-- interesting piece about all this in Columbia Journalism Review 11/98 by Mike Massing who no doubt talks about all this in his new book