Billy C

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 18 17:06:37 PST 1998

It seems to me that there is another dimension about the impeachment debate that needs to be mentioned. Over the history of the U.S., the presdiency has been growng in power, to the point that the notion of the imperial persidency is now a reality. To the extend that the balance of power and the separation of powers between the three branches of government is tilted in favor of the presidency, the prostect of American policy remaining truth to the ideals of the Amercian Idea is eclipsed. For examle, Congress' exclusive power to declare war is now a joke. Those who subscribe to the garrison state mentality in foreign policy view a powerful presdiency as a positive development. A case can be made, however, that Amerian imperialism is directly related to the imperial presidency. All over the world, governments fall without bring the world to an end. When impeachment becomes a regular vehicle in the America political process, it may well make the government more resposnsive in general. The pretext of impeachment is not crucial. Typical of historic events, momentous dialectics of powerful socio-political forces would seize upon some seemingly-trivial incident as rallying cry and twist it into a fateful turning point in history. Protestantism would win England in 1533 with the anti-ecclesiastical arguments of lawyer Thomas Cromwell (1485-1540), which would exploit the dispute between Henry VIII (1509-1547) and Pope Clement VII (1523-1534) over Henry's divorce of Catherine of Aragon. Henry had marry Catherine, the virgin widow of Arthur, deceased brother of the English king, on a controversial dispensation on his late brother's unconsummated political marriage granted earlier, in 1503, by the worldly Pope Julius II (1503-1513). England's long dispute with the Bishop of Rome over drainage of money from England to Rome would manifest itself as a quarrel over royal privileges via the personal conducts of her whimsical sovereign. It would ultimately deprive the Roman Catholic Church of its established hold on the diocese of England while Pope Clement VII, born Giulio de' Medici, would be preoccupied with building the Michelangelo-designed sepulchral Medici chapel in Florence for his legendary father, Lorenzo, and brother, Giuliano. The rise of an English monarchy ecclesiatically independent of Rome, a matter of mere political policy under Cardinal Wolsey, would become an issue of schismatic doctrine under Cromwell, with the English king claiming, in addition to political independence, to be the supreme head of a reconstituted Protestant Church of England. A later English monarch, George III (1760-1820), would ultimately forfeit his moral leadership and be deprived of his political authority in the American colonies, through a series of unwise decisions leading to an ill-fated pacification war sparked by a trivial incident in which a small group of overzealous youths, incited by the radical colonial Samuel Adams (1722-1803), masquerading as Indians, would dump small quantities of tea, imported from China by British-owned East India Company, into Boston Harbor in 1773, in protest over the unpopular Stamp Act. Having induced permanent loss of the colonies in America for the House of Hanover over the right to tax Chinese tea it imported to these colonies, the British East India Company, over its insistence to illegally import opium to China, would redeem itself, albeit at a moral cost, by winning Hong Kong in 1841 for Queen Victoria (1837-1901). As for the French Revolution, it would be the mysterious disappearance of a ruinously-expensive diamond necklace that would galvanize opposition of French aristocrats against Marie Antoinette, frivolous foreigner queen. Cardinal de Rohan (1734-1803), of ancient aristocratic stock, would insist he had been doped into purchasing the necklace under secret instruction from an agent of Marie-Antoinette, later discovered to be the self-serving and fraudulent Jeanne de la Motte posing as an intimate of the Queen. The incident would lead eventually to an open trial that would devastate the prestige of the monarchy under Bourbon kings, weakening it for subsequent revolution. For Tang dynasty China, resistance to creation of the new post of chenfei (imperial spouse) in imperial hougong (rear palace) for Wu Zhao, an imperial favorite of sheren (commoner) root, would lead to impeachment of Empress Wang and eventually to the emergence of Wu Zhao as the first and only female huangdi (emperor) in Chinese history. Now, why shouldn't the technical definition of sex be the pretext to reform American polity?

Henry C.K. Liu