1. On Iraq

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 18 14:32:09 PST 1998

Greg Nowell wrote:

> I am sympathetic to the position that argues against
> the bombing and sanctions and what have you. But I
> must point out, that there are no good sides in Iraq.
> Hussein unbombed and unsanctioned would be leading
> deadly warfare against the Kurds. Hands off is bad, so
> is hands on.

This is what has tied well-intentioned people to imperialism for the whole of the 20th century. *For the United States* there are an indefinite number of 100% right sides in Iraq and everything in the western hemisphere south of the Rio Grande and the whole of Asia and the Pacific: anything that doesn't involve the United States.

You simply have to accept as point of departure that the *only* way in which U.S. citizens can help the remainder of the human species (and ourselves) is to fight against all U.S. foreign and military policy. You (you Greg Powell) are utterly without power to do active good in Iraq, but you do have the power to help your nation do evil there by writing such posts as this.

Carrol