Hoover on HK movies

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Dec 19 05:43:44 PST 1998

> The new Verso catalog - not yet up at their website - is just off press.
> Prominently announced on p. 5 is City On Fire: Hong Kong Cinema, by lister
> Michael Hoover and Lisa Stokes.
> So tell us about the book, Michael.
> Doug

haven't yet seen the catalogue...and I guess it doesn't seem too important with Klingon shooting his wad of cruise missles but:

Lisa and I point out that HK cinema is more than John Woo-type action thrillers - 'Tsui Hark's wire-worked fantasies, Ann Hui's exile melodramas, Stanley Kwan's limpid romances, Wong Kar-wai's stylish art films' etc...so there's gangster films and martial art costumers and lightweight comedies and meditative dramas and _____...we focus on 1984 to present (from signing of Sino-British Joint Declaration to post- handover) but set this period up with a summary history of both Hong Kong and its three-quarter-century old film industry...we use political- economic analysis to situate films in socio-historical context...

Michael Hoover

ps: for effect, I was tempted to fill in blank with 'genre transgressing, polycultural hybrids of Derridean extravagance and Foucauldian polymorphous perversity'