The Triviality of Capital Ownership

boddhisatva kbevans at panix.com
Sat Dec 19 06:29:16 PST 1998

C. Enzo,

The question is not about trading deferred value but being apportioned that deferred value (equity). I have no problem with ownership and even sellable ownership but it is misguided to think that a system of apportionment of ownership based on previous accumulation will not inevitably lead to exactly what we have now: the concentration of wealth in a very few hands. As to your question about morality and landlordism: No, landlordism is actually immoral. Pimping is also immoral. Immoral is as immoral does and the behavior of landlords speaks for itself. Being a landlord is the simplest form of using previous accumulation against people who have to pay as they go. In an ideal world (divorced from reality) landlording might be a moral thing. It might be the simple business transaction it is portrayed to be. In a real, vastly unequal world it isn't nor can it be.

peace