The Triviality of Capital Ownership

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Dec 19 08:54:12 PST 1998

> Now if I buy
> stock, even one share, it would mean that at the age of 44, I will have
> stepped out of the proletariat into the bourgeoisie (as the pettiest of
> petit bourgeois, to be sure) . . .

Rubbish. Numerous union members have pension plans which own stock. If they are bourgeoisie, then the definition loses all meaning.

If you work all your life at a modest standard of living, accumulating modest wealth, you are not bourgeoisie by any sensible definition.

I have a friend who invented some little gadget that made him rich at the age of 40 or so. He has retired now, in his early 50's. He's a legitimate candidate for bourgeoisie.

So relax, you're still among the wretched of the earth.

Cheers, MBS