A Beach Boys fan pipes up

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Dec 21 06:59:32 PST 1998

> I know this subject has seemingly run its course, but my monitor has
> been on the fritz for the past several days, and since the consensus of
> this list appears to be that the BBs are of bunch of over-rated,
> insipid, "creepy" California suburban hegemonists, . . .

Not at all. I love the Beach Boys, always have. But I don't buy all the stretching to make them out to be cerebral artistes. The real Beach Boys wasn't Pet Sounds or bootleg Brian Wilson tapes. It was "Help Me Rhonda," "California Girls," and other ear candy.

This 'fascist' nonsense re: loud music w/a backbeat must mean Washington D.C., the home of 'go-go', is the next great threat to youth culture. Good gawd.

To be even handed, I will say in closing:

"Although your world wonders me, with your majestic and superior cackling hen Your people I do not understand, so to you I shall put an end And you'll never hear surf music again . . . "

mbs