Impeachment: Clinton's Service to the Democrats

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 21 08:02:56 PST 1998

This discussion suggests yet another fancy we might have re the necessary destruction of the hold the Dem. Party has over those with progressive tendencies. If the Dems keep pushing the republicans further and further to the right by repeatedly usurping the nominal Republican Platform, perhaps the Republicans will slip over the edge, leaving only the Dem Party, which would then have no cover for its reactionary positions.

Incidentally, someone referred to "real democrats," or something like that, suggesting I believe that Clinton had betrayed the real democrats. But it is the myth of "The Real Democrat" that we must destroy, for in fact not more than a dozen or so politicians in this century have even remotely represented that alleged species. Frank Murphy was (perhaps) one such: he resolutely, despite great behind-the-scenes pressure from Roosevelt, refused to call out the National Guard to suppress the Sit-down strikes.

Too many people forget that it was WW2, not Roosevelt or the New Deal, that ended the Depression. And I think that error lies behind the eternal dream for a "real democrat" in the White House.

Carrol