A Beach Boys fan pipes up

Alec Ramsdell a_ramsdell at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 09:14:24 PST 1998

---"Ingrid Multhopp, Ed Logue" <zippycat at erols.com> wrote:

> I know this subject has seemingly run its course, but my monitor has
> been on the fritz for the past several days, and since the consensus
of
> this list appears to be that the BBs are of bunch of over-rated,
> insipid, "creepy" California suburban hegemonists, whose only
sources of
> appeal are cloying sun-drenched ditties and a bizarre Brian-cult
that is
> nihilistically drawn to the composer's precious sentimentality and
urge
> to withdraw from the world . . .

I do have sympathy for Brian Wilson, who suffered enormously. I've heard stories about his relationship with his personal doctor that are scary. Sort of like Hank Williams, who died with the help of his doctor/pharmacist. What I find creepy is the cult surrounding BW, so what I said was misleading. But just seeing that word cult can creep me out.

The surf culture in So. Cal. had changed when I was growing up, though I did see some strange vestiges here and there. But my take on the Beach Boys is doubtless distorted since the BB's were before my time, and I associate them with other things of the 60s and 70s--heydays for cults--that have been sieved through so many other popular cultural contexts up to the present.

Alec