from www.eatthestate.org (tobacco related)

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Dec 21 14:29:44 PST 1998

This article points out that there are significant indirect ways to fund politicians, and gives, part way down, a tobacco-related example. -gn

Flat Wrong

When charlatans attempt to perpetrate a fraud on the public, one would hope

that the news media would sound an alarm. Instead, the press often becomes

the very medium by which lies are conveyed. This was the case recently when

a national touring company of two Republican politicians made its stop in

Seattle. They came to engage in a so-called "debate" on tax policy, with Dick

Armey arguing for a flat tax, and Billy Tauzin for a national sales tax.

The P.I. was so enthused, they ran a story two days in advance, encouraging

people to attend. After all, said the story, the tour "is getting high marks from

tax experts." Were we to conclude that the community of tax experts is

unanimous in this opinion? If not, then why did we hear from only one side?

The article briefly mentions a Democratic proposal for a system under which

three-fourths of all taxpayers would pay a 10% income tax rate. Why was this

idea left out of the debate? The P.I. doesn't address this question, but the

answer lies with the tour's sponsor: Citizens for a Sound Economy. Had the

P.I.'s reporter spent a few minutes browsing the Internet, he would have

discovered some interesting facts about this organization.

CSE has strong links to the Republican party; its leadership includes former

high officials in the Reagan and Bush administrations. A group that can afford

to fly two Congressmen around the country, hiring out halls like the

Convention Center, must have very deep pockets. Indeed, Public Citizen

reports that in 1991 CSE received a $191,800 contribution from tobacco

conglomerate Philip Morris--most likely, just the tip of the iceberg.

Readers might have liked to know that CSE has lobbied for NAFTA,

fast-track authority, and electricity deregulation. They oppose environmental

regulation and reforming managed health care. Theirs is a familiar position:

nothing must stand in the way of profit. And that position has been very

successful: between the 1950s and 1991, the corporate share of federal

income taxes fell from 23% to 9.2%. But this isn't enough for the sponsors of

"Scrap the Code." When they speak of "freedom," it's the freedom of the

powerful to prey upon the weak.

Organizations like CSE attempt to delude ordinary citizens into identifying their

interests with those of corporate monoliths. Here's hoping that in the future, the

P.I. will not so readily allow itself to be used in such efforts. --Jon Reinsch

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298