Salon on Doug Henwood

Apsken at aol.com Apsken at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 06:45:53 PST 1998

Peter Kilasnder wrote,

<< I realize it shouldn't but the continual slamming of Hitchens on this list is beginning to piss me off. And this chauvinistic, nationalist nonsense is also nauseating. >>

Give us a break! Besides Carrol Cox's perfectly valid points, Christopher Hitchens rubs our noses in his personal chumminess with everyone who's anyone in England, even as he slurs them with stereotypically British upper-crust snobbishness, while treating his readers as though we need him to interpret these specimens fully. It is this cartoon Brit of Hitchens's self-portrait who richly deserves the darts -- at least until I'm shown some grime under his nails.

Ken Lawrence