Comments on Stoll vs. Menchu

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Tue Dec 22 08:30:30 PST 1998

On Tue, December 22, 1998 at 09:30:12 (-0500) Louis Proyect writes:
> .... That is, the only thing he can put in the place of what he
>considers Menchu's inadequately representative testimony are...other
>testimonies: other texts, narratives, voices, in which (it will come as no
>surprise) he can also find things that he might want to hear.
>
>We know something about the nature of this problem from Wittgenstein and
>modern philosophy. There is not, outside of human discourse itself, a level
>of facticity that can guarantee the truth of this or that representation,
>given that "society, culture, and political economy" are not ontological
>essences prior to representation, but rather themselves the consequence of
>struggles about and over representation. ...

What pompous nonsense. We need Wittgenstein to tell us about the problems inherent in interpreting facts?

>It would be yet another version of the "native informant" of classical
>anthropology to grant testimonial narrators like Rigoberta Menchu only the
>possibility of being witnesses, but not the power to create their own
>narrative authority and negotiate its conditions of truth and
>representativity. ...

Hmm, "negotiate its conditions of truth", eh? So, we of course would grant to the government the same rights? We would allow the death squads the power to create their own "representativity"? Would Beverly defend Jeanne Kirkpatrick in the same terms because we could only find "other texts, narratives, voices" with which to refute Kirkpatrick's absurd claims that the murdered Sister Maryknoll (sp?) nuns were really agents of the Communist Insurgency?

Yes, yes, yes. Menchu was probably attacked by someone with "an agenda". But, if she knowingly told falsehoods, that is not something to be defended. It goes without saying, of course (but on mailing lists you sometimes have to be explicit for some reason) that the crimes committed against Menchu's community for which she speaks outweigh any peccadillo she may have committed in print. But I just can't support this "everyone has a right to negotiate their own conditions of truth" BS. You have the right to tell your version of the story, and if your version is inconsistent with the facts, you should be held accountable.

Bill