Stampeding bison?

boddhisatva kbevans at panix.com
Tue Dec 22 16:08:16 PST 1998

C. Proyect,

First of all, I do not work on Wall Street nor have I ever. I also don't work at an Ivy League university and have a cushy rent-controlled apartment on the east side. Last time, when you and your aptly-named pal Jim Craven tried to impress your hysteria on Pen-L, the responses ran almost unanimously against you and for good reason. What I said then, just like what I said now cannot be construed as racist by a reasonable person. Native Americans used fish weirs because they are and were reasonable people and did not live to satisfy your barely modernized myth of the noble savage (the only thing which approximates racism in the whole discussion). It's because you insist on propounding this myth that I keep confronting you. I think it is damaging and diverting to real left politics. I think it serves to satisfy people who have abandoned the industrial working class, then the third-world working class and are looking for a pure, blameless class of victims to champion. I don't think it is a coincidence that the bourgeoisie has embraced indigenism. I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion but to call it racism is simply a slander, and one you have repeated several times.

As you well know, I reject the "dueling citation" mode of argument that predominates Marxist lists. I am not writing to impress anyone at Monthly Review. The fish weir revelation came to me via a lab assistant in a limnology course I took who was doing her thesis on the Raritan watershed. If you want to look up the work, go to it. Frankly, I have better things to do.

peace

p.s. - Calling an economy "stone age" when people use primarily stone (and wood and bone) tools is no insult, it's just a fact.