plagiarism

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 22 17:04:33 PST 1998

Oh jesuschristoncrutches Gregg, consider yourself blessed that your students don't actually plagiarize from the damn book they've been assigned to read. Heck, they'd even plagiarize my handouts. Made me thoroughly disgusted, since it happened quite regularly. These were students who were very privileged (private school/elite public schools) and ostensibly smart--Colgate University. They were given warnings, a handout on what plagiarism is, and they still did it. As they generally told me, they did it because they could get away with it. They hear that profs don't actually read their papers. Well, I'm not surprised about this. I reviewed a grad student paper for a lousy in house grad student journal once. It was awful: the author spelled consensus six different ways, had the numbers on unemployment over the past 50 yrs all wrong, incomplete sentences. It was clearly a seminar paper that must have passed through the hands of some prof at some point, but apparently s/he never bothered to point out these mistakes. Something wrong with that picture. Well, he'll go on to be some policy wonk in Washington, so whatevA.