From Heidegger to Pomos

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Dec 22 19:11:11 PST 1998

There is a certain irony concerning Richard Rorty's ignorance of Marxism given his family background. Richard's father James Rorty was a journalist who was a close associate of Sidney Hook and he followed Hook in moving from the independent Marxism of the American Workers Party to later adopting Hook's anti-communism. As it happens Rorty became interested in philosophy under Hook's influence. Yet whereas, Hook during his leftist phase wrote two important books on Marxism, _Towards the Understanding of Karl Marx_ and _From Hegel to Marx_ , it is apparent that failed to absorb the latter's interest in Marxism. Richard Rorty certainly shares the kind of Cold War liberalism for which the older Hook was noted for but not the interest or knowledge that Hook had in Marxism (which remained with him even after turning anti-communist).

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]