Larry Bensky fired from Pacifica

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 23 09:15:35 PST 1998

>Larry Bensky is increasingly an NPR type himself. Have you heard his
>afternoon callin show? Sap and syrup for the most part. In any
>event, he's already been re-hired.
>Joseph Noonan

I'll tell you the truth, I stopped listening to Pacifica years ago, except for Doug Henwood's show and the Sunday morning opera. I guess I am not that surprised about Bensky. As a matter of fact, the Free Pacifica webpage, where I picked this news up from, comments that Bensky was a vocal opponent of the movement to prevent the NPR-ization of the network. I guess when you're 61 years old and in failing health, there are compelling reasons to go along with the program.

In any case, one of the main reasons I don't bother with Pacifica nowadays is because of the Internet. There was always something compelling about certain of the call-in shows, but there was usually a less than 10% chance of getting your phone-call taken. With the Internet, it's always 100%.

Louis Proyect