tobacco and political money

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 23 13:45:28 PST 1998

Greg Nowell wrote:

>Moreover, I still find it remarkable that
>my observation that tobacco is 3% of the total is huge
>carries no weight with some.

3% of the total ain't much, Greg, given the way some tobacco hysterics are painting Philip Morris as somehow controlling the national political agenda. Insurance, health interests, and trial lawyers, most of whom are anti-tobacco (how about those legal fees in the tobacco settlement, eh?), dwarf their contributions. If tobacco is so godalmighty, then where did the anti-smoking crusade come from? In materialist terms, of course.

Doug