Salon on Doug Henwood

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Dec 23 17:36:37 PST 1998

<< Well at least Hitchens and Cockburn are intelligent enough to have plugged

both LBO and Doug's book Wall Street. I realize it shouldn't but the

continual slamming of Hitchens on this list is beginning to piss me off. And

this chauvinistic, nationalist nonsense is also nauseating. Speaking of the

culturally hip, Janeane Garofalo listed Hitchens "alongside Carville,

Matalin, and Harry Shearer" as her favorite wits. I dunno, maybe she's just

stupid and succumbs to his "cute" accent.

Well, I went to Cambridge, so it's less national chauvinism than the natural contempt of us Cantabridgeans for the other place, where Hitchens went. In any case, I'ver earned my Anglophobia. But in actual fact, if there is a sneer in my comment, its directed at Americans who fall for Brit accents. Cheerio.

--jks