the Butler did it

JayHecht at aol.com JayHecht at aol.com
Thu Dec 24 10:54:52 PST 1998

<<

Oh yeah, also, most political economists don't know squat about culture or

the psychic life of power, and are often hostile to the effort of

understanding it, denouncing it as mystical or decadent. And most cultural

radicals, Marxist or not, don't know squat about political economy - the

name Jameson comes quickly to mind. One of the reasons I started this list

was to get these two groups to talk to each other, since I think this

mutually reinforcing ignorance is bad for intellectual and political life.

To paraphrase a famous Nazi:

When I hear the word "culture" I reach for my econometrics software!

I hated taking economics courses for precisely the reasons Doug states. Moreover, (I believe) the discipline self-selects against those with a broader view/experience of life. For example, how many "lapsed" musicians and artists are there in the AEA???

Jason