Plagiaris...WAC (writing across the c

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 24 12:58:09 PST 1998

That's a really interesting perspective. I edit the papers my students turn in pretty extensively but I don't take off many points for grammar due to the large number of exchange students I have in my class, and I haven't been able to arrive at a good way to justly deal with differences in background. Usually I just take points off for not labeling graph axes or having all web sites in the bibliography or completely misstating something. In general, I think writing is a really important and valid activity to incorporate into assignments though - you'll need it in about any white collar job type, if one considers college to be vocational training, and essays are more better than multiple choice tests, which is more the norm. I read a zine or newspaper that this collective of anarchist leaning teenagers and people in their 20s put out in Sacramento called 'Dropout' which advocates alternative education and self teaching and so forth, and i agree with a lot of their critiques of the education system, especially k-12. But when I came into my job as a TA, I quickly found that it is extremely difficult to successfully use 'progressive' techniques in the context of normal college or high school education. For instance, I don't feel that students should need to turn in lab reports promptly within one week, so I initially gave very flexible deadlines and told students that I trust them to manage their own time and try to turn things in in a timely fashion, but I think 85% of people require a deadline in order to get anything done and they didn't do any of the work before the last possible minute, so I had to change what I was doing.

It's also pretty difficult to try to facilitate a class discussion on concepts that we're covering in the context that the students actually are interested in the subject itself rather than being forced to take the class as a prereq., which is largely the case. In order to make students participate I sometimes start drifting into a sort of socrates method of asking a question and then calling on people, who sometimes look a bit pained at being forced to contribute, and then I step back and look at myself and I don't know if I am being like one of these autocratic teachers that these teenagers in Sacramento are always criticizing - although I think they are really focusing more on middle and high school where students are forced to be there rather than competing to be there.