Jameson

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 24 12:59:31 PST 1998

[this bounced because of an address kink]

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 16:09:58 -0500 From: jeff sommers <jsommers at lynx.dac.neu.edu> Organization: World HIstory Center X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.07 (Macintosh; I; PPC) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: "lbo-talk at lists.panix.com" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Subject: Jameson Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hello Doug,

I haven't read too much Jameson, but what little I have suggests he knows a bit more about political economy than most of his cultural studies contemporaries. I was impressed that he at least gives a nod to political economy and even cites Ernst Mandel's long-waves in the economy as his source for cycles in culture. Just a thought...

Best,

Jeff Sommers

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 12:20:40 -0500 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: the Butler did it

Doug Henwood wrote:

>What's useful about Butler & Foucault is they make us think about all
those
>micromoments of reproduction (and in Butler's case, make us think about
how
>humans are sexed, which is something Marxists have been rather bad on).

Oh yeah, also, most political economists don't know squat about culture or the psychic life of power, and are often hostile to the effort of understanding it, denouncing it as mystical or decadent. And most cultural radicals, Marxist or not, don't know squat about political economy - the

name Jameson comes quickly to mind. One of the reasons I started this list was to get these two groups to talk to each other, since I think this mutually reinforcing ignorance is bad for intellectual and political life.

Doug