clarity

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 26 16:39:09 PST 1998

Daniel wrote:

>Does that mean it's hard to understand? I've heard people say
>that a canvas of Hieronymus Bosch is extremely complex. Look at
>Michelangelo's Judgment Day. Can anyone absorb such wealth of detail in a
>single look? Yet, there's nothing difficult to understand.
>
>There is nothing difficult to understand in Schoenberg either.

Oh, maybe if you've studied music for years, Schoenberg isn't difficult, and if you're steeped in Western art, Bosch & Michelangelo are easily comprehensible too. But really, how many people put Pierrot Lunaire on their CD players around the world on an average day? 5? Let alone go to a performance? Come down Daniel, you're lost in High Cultureland.

Doug