Doug on Mattick Jr.

Mon Dec 28 18:10:28 PST 1998

Doug raises the question of why do crises break out where and when they do, but ignores the subpoint that based on a value theoretical model of the capitalist system, Mattick Sr was able to predict the end of Keynesian stabilization in the late 50s. That is, on the basis of Marx's theory it was possible to predict the return of the crisis cycle *in the most advanced capitalist countries* at the high point of confidence, shared by Samuelson and neo Marxists alike, in Keynesian instrumentalities. Likewise, Grossmann was able to "retrodict" the industrial stagnation of what was once the workshop of the world and the parasatical character of British imperialism on the strict basis of the law of value.

Marx's theory of the business cycle, concentration and centralisation, organic changes in the structure of production (loosely capital deepening) and misery was not simply based on what Marx observed in Manchester or early British capitalism generally (indeed Paul suggested that capital was arguably not even the dominant mode of production in Britian when Marx wrote) but what he thought the tendencies were of the most advanced, most developed and even most mixed capitalist systems. That is, Marx's theory cannot explain the specifics of each crisis in terms of its duration or location (though it seems to me that the driving force of the Asian crisis is the stagnation of Japanese capital which led to the covering of the NICs with cash and the hollowing out of their export markets--but again it was the vulnerability of that mighty techno oriental power to overaccumulation that leaves Marxist, unlike James Fallows and Alan Blinder, unsurprised). So Marx's theory does serve as an important theoretical critique of the thesis of the stabilization of capitalism in its strongest, oldest or most developed points. This does not mean that Marxists could have predicted thirty years ago that crisis would have been deeper in Japan than Germany or the US in 1998 but it does rob the mighty of their sleep. Or to put it another way Marx's theory remains the most dangerous missle ever fired at the heads of the mightiest bourgeoisie. For example, see Mattick Srs Critique of One Dimensional Man.

So yes the theory of the economic laws of motion is place and time specific; it is specific to the most advanced capitalist countries in their highest, not their earliest, stages of development. Marx was ahead of his time, so far ahead that he was not really understood until Grossmann reconstructed his crisis theory in 1927-29. To be that far ahead of one's time, one must stop looking at capital as it appears (for example, it appears that mercantile and industrial enterprises both produce profit) just as it was important--as Paul put it emphatically--to stop looking at the heavens to understand the real motion of the planets.

yours, rakesh