there's no such thing as positivism

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Dec 30 14:56:48 PST 1998

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:48:02 -0800 Sam Pawlett <epawlett at uniserve.com> writes:

>d-m-c at worldnet.att.net wrote:
>
>> >such as? i don't know of any self-declared sociologists who don't
>have a
>> commitment
>> >to a positivist or empiricist view - care to name some?
>>
>> There are a few: Norman Denzin, Steven Seidman, and some others
>whose
>> names escape me at the moment.
>>
>> >more importantly, exactly
>> >what is this critique of positivism that logical positivists have
>made?
>>
>> Yes, i've quite forgotten all this stuff, it seemed so utterly
>irrelevant
>> at them time; care to remind Jim?
>
>The classic critiques of positivism were W.V. Quine's attack on the
>analytic/synthetic distinction, N.R. Hanson and Thomas Kuhn's critique
>of
>theory- neutral observation, many attacks on the verificationist
>theory of
>meaning e.g the verification principle is not itself empirically
>verifiable.
>Wilfred Sellars attack on the notion of a "given". Hilary Putnam's
>critique of
>the fact/value distinction.For an overview see _Philosophy and the
>Mirror of
>Nature_ by Rorty. While these writers may have have been influenced by
>positivism they were not positivists at the time they made these
>critiques.
> The classic statement of positivism in social science is Milton
>Friedman's
>mid-fifties paper "A Theory of Positive Economics" or something like
>that.
>Basic point: the content of the assumptions is irrelevant as long as
>the model
>yields predictions. The positivist theory par excellance in the social
>sciences
>is neoclassical microeconomics. Micro theory has crept into all the
>social
>sciences through the work of people like David Gauthier, Richard
>Posner, Jon
>Elster, J.Maynard Smith, Harsanyi and Russell Hardin. There's lots of
>work on
>the positivism in social science question. My favorite is Martin
>Hollis/Ed
>Nell _Rational Economic Man_ and Hollis _the Philosophy of Social
>Science.
>What's the old saying? Neoclassical economics; you have to be smart
>enough to
>understand it and stupid enough to believe it.
>
>Sam Pawlett.

It should be noted though that historically not all positivists in the social sciences were methodological individualists. Durkheim for instance was a strong critic of the methodological individualisms of his (i.e. utilitarianism) but he was still a positivist. Likewise, to take a more recent example, the structural sociologist, Bruce Mayhew was certainly a positivist but he was no fan of methodological individualism in sociology. Also, while many Marxists have been critical of positivsm, there is also a long tradition of 'positivist' Marxisms going back to Kautsky. A recent case would be the Marxism of G.A. Cohen. Cohen (who BTW studied under Gilbert Ryle at Oxford) is strongly influenced by logical empiricism. His _Karl Marx's Theory of History_ drew upon Carl Hempel's philosophy of science (although Justin Schwartz has argued that Cohen is not really a Hempelian).

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]