The Price of Oil (and thanks, Jim H)

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 30 18:10:16 PST 1998

>Who in the U.S. power structure wants significantly higher oil prices?
Oil
>people mainly. Who wants stable or low prices? Wall Street, airlines,
>carmakers, retailers, the leisure industry, manufacturers,
utilities....

I wouldn't neccessarily lump the automakers in there - because of CAFE rules, higher gas prices (as long as they weren't TOO high) could increase their profits, by encouraging people to buy their smaller cars (freeing them to sell more high-profit guzzlers) The big 3 (or 2.5, now, since the DaimlerChrysler merger) are on record as advocating (how seriously, I don't know) higher gas taxes, coupled with removal of CAFE.

Jim Baird