Hastert and Tobacco

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed Dec 30 23:45:54 PST 1998

At 17:53 30/12/98 -0500, Greg Nowell wrote:
> www.ash.org is the source of the below

Useful site. Good for other links as well. I had only found UK ASH so far.

>New House Speaker Supports Tobacco [12/24-4]
>
>>From Bill Godshall,
>
>I found a truly revealing videotape of the
>presumed-to-be next Speaker of the US House of
>Representatives Dennis Hastert (R-IL) berating then FDA
>Commissioner David Kessler, and
>repeatedly accusing Kessler of contempt of Congress
>during a June 21, 1994 hearing when Kessler
>testified about nicotine addiction before the House
>Subcommittee on Health and the Environment.

So that is it.

Why should such a calm, healing type of man get demonstrably angry? While on video?

Presumbably he did not win in his assertion that the FDA Commissioner was showing contempt of Congress. Sounds like a clash of rights, that could only be resolved by a demonstration of force. Perhaps he wanted to create a precedent. Or perhaps he was playing to a gallery - which?

Can anyone find the context? Presumably there is a site where transcriptions of exchanges can be read?

Chris Burford

London.