I feel so dirty.

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Thu Dec 31 10:05:10 PST 1998

I think Doug's on to something; it's an issue I've wrestled with and continue to. Another way to look at it is through the lens of feminist theory, which I'm not well-versed in. Often it's women who are out buying things for the family, being heroic consumers while men like myself can't get out of the shopping mall fast enough. Also, when Martha Stewart came on the scene, I felt she was pure evil - I wonder how much of that was the inner male in me.

I recently came across some health care industry propaganda where it's stressed that there is a new "consumerism" amongst patients and their families. They are searching for the best deals and asserting their consumer sovereignty, thereby "regulating" the industry. I always find it interesting when words and phrase become contested sites of ideological battle.

Peter