Query Re Inequality and Health Study

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Thu Dec 31 12:33:47 PST 1998

I will have an opportunity to look it up after Jan 5. If anyone has the reference at hand I would like to get it as well. In the research on inequality and health the impact to the well-to-do, or at least to the middle class is usually couched in terms of the tax burden of health care to the poor, or possibly productivity losses from working class folks with higher adverse health risks. It is not obvious to me how the rich might otherwise be affected, at least to the extent that one would find it worthwhile to develop preventive interventions. Sure if I am rich and walk into a room with TB sufferers I might have a problem, but what are the chances that I'd be in such a room (or a subway, etc.). Insofar as the link between inequality and health requires some sort of transmission mechanism, the ability of rich folks to avoid these mechanisms imply the health burden of inequality must be more indirect (i.e., via the pocketbook).

Jeff -----Original Message----- From: Paul Henry Rosenberg [mailto:rad at gte.net] Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 11:16 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Query Re Inequality and Health Study

Three weeks ago I remember hearing (on this list? on Pacifica? ITN?) about a study of over 100 cities studying the correlation between income inequality (I believe) and health. The findings indicated that inequality was not just bad for those on the bottom, but for the entire population, including those at the top.

I thought I had saved the cinfo on where this came from, but I've been unable to find it, and web searches so far have drawn a blank.

Can anyone help me on this?

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"