Michael Lerner bashing (was:Re: against 'entrenched identities')

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jul 2 13:58:51 PDT 1998

> . . .
> My Lerner horror story is a forum on the Middle East at the Starry Plough
> pub in Berkeley, where Lerner declared that Jews had to (ever so
> critically) support Israel because anti-semitism is "in the blood" of
Gentiles. I've
> thought ever since I read _The Boys from Brazil_ that there was a
> congruity of belief in "blood", genetic destiny, etc., between Zionism and
> Naziism. I read something somewhere ascribing this to the decay of
romanticism in the late 19th century. I'm not sure exactly what the writer was getting at, but it *feels* right.

For the Jews to whom this applies, I would say the basis for the 'genetic' feeling is paranoia derived from actual or historical memory. After all, there aren't so many of us left. It's not hard to be wary of being isolated and endangered. Paranoids have enemies too.

MBS