Tibet and the attraction of Buddhism

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Thu Jul 2 16:02:54 PDT 1998

My rather unenlightened -er, simplistic - view is that Tibetan Buddhism offers Americans an alternative to the two dominant religions or world views: greedy capitalistic secularism or the tainted Judeo-Christian tradition. Tibet offers a way for people to be political and differentiate themselves from the rest of the apathetic masses and corrupt elite. I almost forgot the New Agey crap. I don't know if I'll be able to handle the bubble bursting here in the U.S. at the turn of the millenium, ushering in Great Depression Two to the tune of a tsunami of New Age babbling. It's possible I'll just sit in front of the TV, left and right lobes of the brain fused, unable even to roll my eyes in knowing dirision, my mind stumped by the unfolding historical koan, a koan equivalent to " what's the sound of one hand clapping?" raised to the 10th power.