Culturalism of the 'Culture of Poverty' Discourse (was Re:

Whitalone at aol.com Whitalone at aol.com
Fri Jul 3 16:19:43 PDT 1998

You said in such words......

An eternity of focusing on personal prejudice or bigotry, on racism as having psychological causes and subject to psychological remedies--such as (e.g.) individual forswearing of white skin privilege or race treason or education--will have no effect on racism whatsoever. We need to attack, and attack directly, those social relations which provide the material basis of racism--for example, police brutality (a cliche which tends to radical reduction of the real horrors it names). And of course poor people, white or black, are subject to police brutality, but it is totally obscurantist not to recognize the special nature, extent and intensity of police treatment of blacks. An economistic explanation of repression cannot even begin to explain these facts.

Scott....to quote you directly..."we need to attack, and attack directly, those social relations which provide the material basis of racism.." Social relations??? Material basis???? I think you prove exactly the point that Wojtek was trying to make....focusing on attitudes or trying some "lala" religious or moral reform is impossible where the material basis for social relations is one of struggle for subsistence......

maybe I am missing something here, but I enjoy musing.....

Scott