Carroll Against Psychologism

JRSHEV01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU JRSHEV01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Sat Jul 4 06:12:34 PDT 1998

Chuck Miller wrote:

"What I have seen is that racism arises from a fact of human psychology: the emotions one feels at the sight of another human beings difference."

Two-year-olds do not hold differences in skin color to mean difference in value/worth. Racism, value/worth differentiation between people of varying skin color, arises after our "psychology" is established by internalization of racist ideology inherent in the social relations (i.e., fragmentation of the working class) culturally transmitted to perpetuate and maintain capitalist hegemony. Sue.