Comparative Cuba experiences (Re: Cuba and gay men [was Tibet and gays])

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon Jul 6 18:41:52 PDT 1998

Jamie,

I was thinking in particular of a meeting with students at the University. It was pretty surreal. Young Party functionaries who kept saying there's no sexism here, there's no racism here. All that's been eradicated by the Revolution. Meanwhile, a Black New Yorker kept asking why police asked him for his identity card whenever he was in a touristic area (I love that word--touristic). A Black Cuban said the same thing happens to him, but, since the police are polite about it, it doesn't count. Meanwhile, the North Americans are sitting there, looking at this diverse group of Cuban students, wondering why only the white guys are talking. We asked the women to join the conversation, and they giggled and held their boyfriends hands when they spoke. Maybe they were just young? Race was certainly discussed more than gender.

I skipped a visit to La Guintera community, and maybe that would have given me a different sense of Cuban women. But at the hospital and the neighborhood council visit, there were Cuban women present but the men gave all the presentations.

Cheers, Frances