Racism, politics, science, etc.

bautiste at uswest.net bautiste at uswest.net
Mon Jul 6 20:14:24 PDT 1998

Doyle Saylor wrote:

> I knew that but got into this mindset that only if true social change
> happens will we get an end to racism. Of course, it is perfectly
> obvious that capitalism doesn't require racism!

How, not requires? The English slave trade, the American southern plantations, these all required racism to further their capitalistic aims. Surely, you would agree that capitalism thrives on others' misery and economic inequality. That they are black, yellow or red is a circumstance that can be exploited for capitalistic aims. Perhaps a better way of putting it is that capitalism does not necessarily imply a racist ideology. Yet, a racist ideology can be used to further capitalistic aims. Why racism is so convenient is because it plays on natural antipathies between peoples of different ethnic and cultural differences.

chuck miller

-- http://www.users.uswest.net/~bautiste/index.htm

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: vcard.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 248 bytes Desc: Card for Charles Miller URL: <../attachments/19980706/4744e91f/attachment.vcf>