on East Timor was Re: Tibet

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 7 10:52:27 PDT 1998

> i think the original question about tibet (from doug?) raised exactly
> the opposite point. u.s. liberals, hollywood-types in particular, have
> rallied to the tibet cause because of some perceived mystical
> specialness of tibet and of the dali lama. where was/is the cavalcade of
> concerts/movies/benefits to aid east timor? so it's not the reflexive
> support of self-determination for timor but rather the unreflective
> romantic rallying to the cry for 'independence for Tibet' << that causes
> everyone's computers to instantly reboot. >>

I bet that this is due to the fact that most people in the u.s., our celebrities included, don't know shit about politics or our recent world history, other than representations in movies. I doubt this was a deliberate choice. I mean, it's difficult enough for me to find accurate international news when I put forth an effort. You can't really blame people for being ignorant, who just watch the 11 o'clock news. There was an interesting article by Amy Goodman in Z who was at the Reebok human rights awards and sat next to Michael Stipe, and she was unaware of who he was and popular culture, and she felt that he and the other stars were pretty unaware of her domain.